Location: Kampala, Uganda OR Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 4-12 weeks
African Prisons Project (APP) is a charity registered in the UK, Uganda and Kenya. Our mission is to work with African prison services to make prisons places of positive transformation. We work to ensure that prisoners in Africa live with dignity, hope and a chance of a positive future, to equip prisoners to contribute positively to their communities, and to support prison staff in implementing reforms to achieve these aims. We work holistically to change the way that criminal justice issues are addressed in the countries in which we work and empower prisoners to drive positive change.
There is the ongoing need for communications work, to better broadcast the current state of Africa’s prisons and the impact we are having upon them. The role therefore involves helping to manage APP’s social media presence and the messages communicated to ensure the work already being done, but also the distance still to go, is made clear.
- Helping to write articles and blog posts based on current and upcoming projects, to demonstrate to current and prospective donors what is being achieved in the prisons we work in in Kenya and Uganda.
- Generating content for APP’s social media channels - including photography, video editing and possible interviews
- Plan, schedule and write postings for social media
- Helping to keep databases up to date, and generate new ways of reaching out to donors.
- Ability to use initiative and work independently, to a high standard and within specified time frames
- Strong academic background and/or work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to people from a broad range of backgrounds, cultures and influence.
- Experience in photography or video filming/editing not essential but helpful
- Committed to making a substantial contribution to the lives of prisoners and prison officers in Kenya and Uganda
- Volunteering periods are generally 4-12 weeks
- The volunteer will work from APP’s office either in Kampala, Kenya, or Nairobi, Uganda, depending on availability of roles, and will be regarded as a valued full-time member of the team.
- The volunteer will be assigned a line manager, and in addition to extensive inductions will have the opportunity to set out goals and expectations for the volunteering period.
- Accommodation and food will be provided by APP. A fixed fee will be charged by APP, which will include accommodation, food, utilities and other running costs involved with housing volunteers. Flights are at the applicant’s own expense.
- A fundraising commitment will be required of applicants, in order to help fund current and future projects in the prisons of Kenya and Uganda.