Location: Kampala, Uganda OR Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 4-12 weeks
African Prisons Project (APP) is a charity registered in the UK, Uganda and Kenya. Our mission is to work with African prison services to make prisons places of positive transformation. We work to ensure that prisoners in Africa live with dignity, hope and a chance of a positive future, to equip prisoners to contribute positively to their communities, and to support prison staff in implementing reforms to achieve these aims. We work holistically to change the way that criminal justice issues are addressed in the countries in which we work and empower prisoners to drive positive change.
We work with some of the most marginalised communities in the world - prisoners in Africa. A large part of our role is to humanise the amazing prisoners and prison officers we work with, tell their stories and celebrate their achievements. But we also need to show just how far we have to go. That is why visual storytellers (whether through photography or videography) are essential for APP.
- Capturing high quality photography and post-production, both inside the prisons and outside
- High quality videography, capturing footage both inside the prisons and outside.
- Editing and post-production on videos, suitable for various different purposes. This may include short films for comms purposes, interviews and stories, and longer form content.
- Demonstrable experience with high quality photography and/or filming
- Experience with production of photographs and/or editing films
- Experience with post-production (including transitions, titling etc) preferable
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to people from a broad range of backgrounds, cultures and influences.
- Committed to making a substantial contribution to the lives of prisoners and prison officers in Kenya and Uganda
- Volunteering periods are generally 4-12 weeks
- The volunteer will work from APP’s office either in Kampala, Kenya, or Nairobi, Uganda, depending on availability of roles, and will be regarded as a valued full-time member of the team.
- The volunteer will be assigned a line manager, and in addition to extensive inductions will have the opportunity to set out goals and expectations for the volunteering period.
- Accommodation and food will be provided by APP. A fixed fee will be charged by APP, which will include accommodation, food, utilities and other running costs involved with housing volunteers. Flights are at the applicant’s own expense.
- A fundraising commitment will be required of applicants, in order to help fund current and future projects in the prisons of Kenya and Uganda.