Teaching Assistant Volunteer
Location: Kampala, Uganda OR Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 4-12 weeks
African Prisons Project (APP) is a charity registered in the UK, Uganda and Kenya. Our mission is to work with African prison services to make prisons places of positive transformation. We work to ensure that prisoners in Africa live with dignity, hope and a chance of a positive future, to equip prisoners to contribute positively to their communities, and to support prison staff in implementing reforms to achieve these aims. We work holistically to change the way that criminal justice issues are addressed in the countries in which we work and empower prisoners to drive positive change.
As part of our Justice Changemaker Training, we run a formalised sponsorship programme to help prisoners and prison staff to study law from prison through the University of London's distance learning programme. To do this, we use volunteers alongside our full time tutors to provide teaching assistance and support, ensuring our changemakers have as varied and extensive a programme as possible. Volunteers with a knowledge of the law are essential in assisting in this process, either providing support to teachers or facilitating classes themselves depending on the topics being taught.
- Strong legal academic background
- Previous experience in teaching, particularly in the law, preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to people from a broad range of backgrounds, cultures and influence.
- Committed to making a substantial contribution to the lives of prisoners and prison officers in Kenya and Uganda
- Volunteering periods are generally 4-12 weeks
- The volunteer will work from APP’s office either in Kampala, Kenya, or Nairobi, Uganda, depending on availability of roles, and will be regarded as a valued full-time member of the team.
- The volunteer will be assigned a line manager, and in addition to extensive inductions will have the opportunity to set out goals and expectations for the volunteering period.
- Accommodation and food will be provided by APP. A fixed fee will be charged by APP, which will include accommodation, food, utilities and other running costs involved with housing volunteers. Flights are at the applicant’s own expense.
- A fundraising commitment will be required of applicants, in order to help fund current and future projects in the prisons of Kenya and Uganda.