Location: London, UK
Time requirement: 1 - 1.5 days per week
Start date: ASAP, applications considered on an ongoing basis
Note: This is an unpaid (volunteering) position
African Prisons Project (APP) is a charity registered in the UK, Uganda and Kenya. Our mission is to work with African prison services to make prisons places of positive transformation. We work to ensure that prisoners in Africa live with dignity, hope and a chance of a positive future, to equip prisoners to contribute positively to their communities, and to support prison staff in implementing reforms to achieve these aims. We work holistically to change the way that criminal justice issues are addressed in the countries in which we work and empower prisoners to drive positive change.
One facet of APP's work crucial to its success, is the commitment, expertise and abilities of those who choose to volunteer with us. Ensuring volunteers are effectively recruited, inducted and managed is important to ensure both APP, but also the person who chooses to give their time so generously, is using this opportunity most effectively. The Volunteer Manager will be the focal point of this process. This role with work with all three APP offices and the Senior Management Team to ensure effective recruitment, induction, management and dialogue with all prospective, current and past volunteers and ensure these relationships are as fruitful as possible.
- Working with the UK, Kenya and Uganda offices to proactively identify, log and track opportunities within the organisation where volunteers can add value
- Helping to draft and copy check job descriptions for volunteering positions within APP, providing a coherent tone of voice between all offices.
- Posting job descriptions online and ensuring volunteering section of APP's website is up to date
- Work as the focal point for all volunteering applications and expressions of interest, ensuring details are logged promptly and accurately onto the APP volunteer tracker system
- Representing the first point of contact with volunteers, directing them to contacts within the relevant office, providing induction packs and contracts where necessary
- Responsible for collating all volunteer feedback (from exit interviews), collating, and pulling out insights and actions to share with the Senior Management Team on a quarterly basis
- Strong academic background and/or work experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Independent, capable and self-starting, able to plan and execute projects with minimal support and with excellent attention to detail
- Professional and diligent in conduct
- Empathetic, thoughtful, respectful and kind to all
- Interested in making a substantive contribution to the lives of prisoners and prison officers in Kenya and Uganda
- This is a volunteer position.
- The volunteer will work from APP’s office in Mitcham, London
- The volunteer will be assigned a line manager, and in addition to extensive inductions will have the opportunity to set out ongoing goals and expectations